For the rest of your first week, you’ll spend some time getting more familiar with Human Made, including our humans, the company, and our culture. Your buddy will help you get started with some of the specifics related to your job. When you’re not doing that, these are things that we like you to focus on during your first week.
It’s very important that you are proactive in writing your announcement post, please do make sure you have it done at the end of your first week to prevent people having to chase you for it.
Whenever a new human joins the company, we like to tell the world. The format of the announcement post is usually a paragraph from Tom about how pleased we are that you’re joining the company, followed by a paragraph from you introducing yourself. We like to post this within two weeks of your official joining date.
If you’re stuck for what to say here are some things you could include:
- What are your previous jobs?
- What’s your background?
- How did you learn about Human Made?
- What will you be working on in the company?
Read through some previous announcement posts to see how we’ve done them in the past:
- Barbara Marcantonio joins Human Made
- John Bevan joins Human Made
- Joe McGill joins Human Made
- Jenny Beaumont joins Human Made
You should write your part of the announcement post as soon as possible; if you’re having trouble writing it, please get in touch with Daisy (DM her in Slack @daisy).
The next thing you should do is update your website bio on the Facts database. You’ll need to do this as it’ll be linked from your announcement post.
There are two steps:
Step 1: Update your profile on Facts
We are using facts.hmn.md to store data for display on hmn.md. You need to log in to 🔒 Facts go to your profile and select the “Base Public” group. This includes all of the information that will be displayed on the website. If you don’t want something displayed on the website, do not put it here. You will be able to fill in:
- 25-30 words
- should include what you do at HM
- where you are based
- some fact about you
As Events Director, Siobhan guides Human Made’s events. She lives in Whitley Bay, UK, with her husband, two kids, fluffy cat, and thousands of books.
- 120 – 150 words
- should include a brief employment/education history
- should include any areas of OS you are active in
- could include information about any hobbies you have
Siobhan has worked remotely since 2010, as a freelancer, a contractor, and as an employee. She founded her own online writing business, Words for WP, before going to work at Audrey Capital where she wrote a book about the history of the WordPress Project and led documentation efforts at WordPress.org. She is one of the founding organisers of WordCamp Europe and WordCamp London. She has spoken extensively at WordCamps across the world; you can watch her videos on WordPress.tv
Since joining Human Made, Siobhan has been responsible for shepherding the events team, resulting in events such as A Day of REST, A Week of REST, and Out of Office. She also helps out with internal operations and HR. She has recently completed a book about working online which will be published in early 2018.
- Human Made email address (please use @humanmade.com)
- Favourite video of you speaking (from YouTube or WordPress.tv)
- WordPress.org username
- Areas of WordPress you contribute to
Step 2: Take your profile picture
You need nothing special to take your profile picture, just your webcam and yourself. 🔒 There is a guide to doing this here, starting from page 22.
Please follow the guide and 🔒 upload your photo here.
Announcement post & website profile checklist
Now that you have a good idea of what you need to do, you can follow this simple step-by-step guide to ensure everyone has what they need to set up your website profile and publish your announcement post.
- Take a picture of yourself following the 🔒 Design Guidelines.
- Upload your profile image to 🔒 this folder.
- Ping Barbara (@babi) in the #design channel to let her know you’ve uploaded your profile pic in the folder.
- Write both of your profile bios (long and short) for the website (in Facts.hmn.md) – Don’t worry about filling in your entire profile now. You can do this later 🙂
- Write a paragraph introducing yourself for your announcement post (i.e. the second part of the post which responds to Tom’s part). Ping/email it to Daisy (@daisy) / email@example.com N.B. This should be worded differently to your long bio in Facts as your announcement post will contain a link to your profile on the website.
- Barbara will edit the image, and upload it to Facts
- Daisy will combine your part of your announcement post with Tom’s part and ask you to review it
- Check that your full name is entered on your WP profile to ensure your name shows correctly on the website.
- To add your profile to the website go to hmn.md/wp-admin and Users. Here you have the option of ‘Change member type to’. Change this to Human.
- If required, the option ‘Change member type’ needs to be set on https://jp.humanmade.com also.
- You’re HUMAN! Your profile will be added to our ‘Who we are’ page then your announcement post will be published. Yay!
If you have any questions about this process, reach out to your buddy!
LEARN MORE ABOUT HUMAN MADE
Now that you’re a member of the team, it’s a good time to learn more about Human Made and about how we work. That means it’s time to get reading Here’s where to start:
- 🔒 Updates – reading through the archive of updates will give you excellent insight into how the company works. If you read no other P2, make sure you read this one.
- 🔒 Community – if you’re interested in our involvement in WordPress and the wider web development and open source communities.
- 🔒 Retreat– to learn more about our company retreat.
- 🔒 Ideas – find out about the crazy ideas that humans come up with.
- 🔒 HR – to find out any recent HR announcements.
Do read through any P2 that takes your interest. 🔒 All of our P2s live here.
YEAR IN REVIEW
You can learn more about the company’s history by reading through Tom’s Year in Review email, which he sends out at the end of every calendar year:
MEET THE TEAM
If you haven’t already been introduced to the team during your trial you’ll be introduced to everyone on the bi-monthly team hangout. These hangouts are an opportunity for the entire team to check in with one another. At your first team hangout you’ll introduce yourself and everyone on the team will introduce themselves to you.
You should also introduce yourself to 3-5 other humans. Your buddy will help you out and make any introductions you need.
Arrange to CO-WORK WITH ANOTHER HUMAN
If there’s another human in your area, set up some time to co-work with them. This face-to-face time is really important so you can learn more about the individuals that make up Human Made.
In your first 6 months, we encourage you to meet with at least one other human. If there are no meetups or events coming up, and there are no humans in your area, you should plan a trip to co-work with another human. You could go to a conference together or just meet up at one or the other’s hometown. Your trial buddy will help you to plan this.
If during your first week you find there’s something missing from the handbook, please let us know in #handbook. Feel free to fix typos as you find them. And if you’re stuck, check out the Help! page or ask your buddy.