You are entitled to a minimum of 28 days paid holiday per year. You can take more.
Due to the global nature of the team, don’t assume that all of your team members will be aware of your local public holidays, if you plan to take off a public holiday make sure it is entered in CharlieHR and let people know that you will be absent. You should always inform your Project Manager if you intend to be off work.
If you have to take short periods of time off for things like appointments or any unexpected circumstances, you do not need to count these towards your holiday. They should however be entered in to the HM AFK google calendar.
To avoid stress and burnout, it’s important that you do take time off throughout the year. When you are overworked this has a negative impact on you and the rest of the company. If you are having trouble taking time off, talk to your team lead about how we can better balance your workload.
If you are sick or have other unexpected circumstance during your holiday period, it is reasonable to take more holiday to ensure that you get proper downtime.
HOW TO BOOK TIME OFF
Taking time off will affect those that you are working with and it may be that your day-to-day responsibilities need handing over to someone else. This is particularly the case for humans working on client projects, so it’s important to keep your team updated about your plans. When planning time off, you need to:
- Try to give everyone as much notice as possible, ideally double the amount of time that you are taking off.
- Check with your immediate team that it is a good time to do so.
- Inform your project manager if you are taking time off, even after your current project finishes, so they can update Forecast.
- Add your dates into CharlieHR. These will then be exported to the Charlie Calendar so the team can see when you are off.
- For non-trackable absences you should input the days you will be unavailable into the HM AFK calendar (see ‘Charlie or AFK?’ below for a list of examples). Make sure you are logged into Google with your company account.
- Post the details of exactly when you’ll be off and who’ll be taking over your responsibilities to P2 Updates.
We will try not to refuse any proposed time off, although due to work pressures it may occasionally be necessary to do this or to ask you to rearrange the dates. We will try our best to give you as much notice as possible. By UK law the notice period for refusal should be at least the length of the holiday.
The holiday year runs from May 1st – April 30th.
CHARLIE OR AFK?
We use CharlieHR to track annual & other leave types throughout the year. All leave entered in Charlie will be visible in the Charlie Calendar. Instructions on how to subscribe to the calendar can be found here.
Leave to be entered in CharlieHR:
- all annual leave using the holiday time off type
- local public holidays, using the public holiday time off type.
- Sick, compassionate and maternity/paternity leave using the sick, compassionate or parental time off types.
For non-trackable absences, you should enter them into the HM AFK google calendar. Examples include:
- lieu days if you would like time off before or after working over a weekend (attending a WordCamp for example)
- client trips
- travel days
- unexpected circumstances such as looking after sick kids, childcare issues or internet problems
If you’re unsure ask in #teamadmin
SICKNESS, PARENTAL LEAVE AND HOLIDAY
If you are sick or injured during a period of holiday, and would have been unable to work, you may choose to treat the period of incapacity as sick leave and take the corresponding holiday days at another time.
Holiday continues to accrue during periods of long term sickness so if you are unable to take your 28 day holiday allowance in a leave year because of sickness absence then it may be carried over into the next leave year.
Holiday continues to accrue during periods of family (maternity, paternity, adoption, parental or shared parental leave). Please talk to us about your holiday plans if you are planning to take a period of family leave that will last beyond the end of the holiday year. If you are unable to take some of your 28 day holiday allowance in a leave year because of family leave then it may be carried over into the next leave year.
LEAVING WORK AND HOLIDAY
When you leave our employment you may be asked to use any accrued but unused holiday from your 28 day minimum entitlement during your notice period. Alternatively we will pay you in lieu of accrued but unused holiday.