We provide all the equipment you need to do your job effectively. Expect to own top-of-the-range kit:
- A new computer every 2 years.
- A new mobile phone every 2 years.
- A good pair of headphones and a microphone.
- An external monitor (if required), keyboard, mouse etc.
- An ergonomic office desk and chair.
- Any other equipment needed to work effectively.
Use the following list of reference equipment as a guides, if you _need_ better/more expensive equipment to do your job effectively then please let us know when requesting.
- Laptop (£2,799) – up to the standard configuration for the high-end SKU of the 16 inch MacBook Pro or equivalent
- Mobile phone (£779) – iPhone 11 128GB or equivalent
- Headphones (£259) – Sony WH-1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones or equivalent
- External Monitor – the Dell UltraSharp U2419HC 23.8″ Full HD InfinityEdge USB-C IPS Monitor is currently under £230 but a more expensive one will be approved if a higher spec is required
- Office Desk (£575) – Ikea standing desk or equivalent
- Office Chair (£500) – refurbished Herman Miller or equivalent
N.B. If you would prefer a higher spec phone such as an iPhone 11 Pro, HM will cover the cost if you are willing to renew on a three year cycle instead of every two years. You can either wait until it’s been three years since your last phone purchase or keep the new one for three years. The maximum model you can go up to this way is the iPhone 11 Pro 256GB (£1199), or another make/model that is equal to or less than the cost of an iPhone 11 Pro 256GB in your country. (If you want a more expensive model than this, you should purchase yourself and expense up to the limit, and still submit in the expenses backlog first.)
If you are purchasing from a non-UK retailer, the amount HM will reimburse/cover is the cost of the models (listed above) in that country (whether it’s more or less), not the currency equivalent of the GBP amount.
If you’re unsure what to buy, you might find it helpful to ask others in Slack (in #interests-gadgets for example), before running it past us.
Assets over £500 must be purchased by Human Made and not expensed. Once you know the specs of what you’d like, create an issue in the expenses repo, including the spec of the device and add to the expenses backlog.
It’s fine to purchase second-hand items as long as the seller can provide you with a proof of purchase (doesn’t need to be a VAT/GST invoice).
We maintain a 🔒 list of all company assets.
If your equipment was purchased by Human Made it is covered by our worldwide insurance. Otherwise, you should purchase equipment insurance and expense it to the company. If you’re unsure ask in #company-admin. Our insurance also covers devices when they’re taken abroad on trips.