If you’re leading a team or group as part of your role you should have regular 1-1 catchups with each member of your team. These are in addition to the 1-1’s all Humans do with Tom.
1-1’s should be scheduled to happen monthly with each person on the team. You can stagger them so that they’re spread out through the month. A typical 1-1 should last between 15 & 45 minutes and is mostly about checking in with each person to see how they’re getting on, address any issues they’d like to raise & provide feedback.
Here are some of the questions you might ask on a 1-1:
- How are you?
- How well do you feel you are doing at the Human Made?
- How well do you feel Human Made is doing?
- What are you feeling good about at the moment?
- What are you feeling you’d like to improve?
- Is there anything you think I could be doing better?
- Have you noticed or experienced anything that you think is concerning, anything you think I should be focused on?
As a fast growing company it’s likely that a few of your 1:1s will be with people who are less than a year into their time as humans. In that case leave the door open to talking about how they feel that are settling in, and comparing Human Made to previous employers.