As a trial buddy, you are the first point of contact for someone who we are hoping will join the team. This is an important responsibility, first of all in the practical sense of ensuring they have access to everything they need to do their job, but, perhaps more importantly, you will be this person’s guide to the company, representing everyone at Human Made, our values, and our culture. Whether they join the company or not, everyone on trial at Human Made should have a great experience, and you are the person to provide it.
Onboarding a New Trial
When a new trial starts, create a post on 🔒 the Onboarding P2 with their name.
Add the following header with the correct details:
Trial name: Buddy: Project: Project Team:
Add the following checklist. You should check off items as they are complete and add any trial-specific ones which are missing:
Trial onboarding o call with new trial to welcome them o weekly updates discussed o intro on Updates o add to all relevant P2s (as Editor) (you need to be proxied to do this) o add to Slack (full Slack access) o run through [security checklist](https://handbook.hmn.md/working-here/security/) o add to any weekly meetings o add to HM Github (as an outside collaborator to relevant repos) o intro on team hangout o intro to project team o create a trial project private channel for discussion of the trial
Note: to add to the P2 network, first you need to add a person to the network before you can add to P2s. Ensure you’re behind the proxy, then go to Network Admin, and add the user to the network.
For all the above accounts use the individual’s personal email address. They will only get a Human Made email address once they have been accepted for a role.
Please note: If you are onboarding a trial project manager, please use this checklist specifically designed for the needs of the project manager role.
Offboarding a Trial
If a trial is not successful, you should leave a comment under the original post that briefly outlines the reasons that it was unsuccessful and any further action that should be taken (future follow-up, for example). On the original trial post, click edit and copy and paste the following checklist:
Offboarding trial o remove from P2 network o remove from Slack o delete from Calendar o remove from Github o remove from developer (and sys admin) SSH keys and deploy (if relevant) - get help from #servers o Remove from hm-proxy (if relevant) - #servers
Developer specific note: When removing developers SSH key from hm-proxy and #servers, you’ll need two pull requests, setting the developer status to absent first, then removing their entry completely.
Onboarding a New Human
Sumaiya will usually be the ‘People Buddy’ for new hires and will onboard new humans on company related tools and policies using the following process:
- Once an offer has been accepted, a contract will be sent out
- On return of a signed copy equipment will be ordered ready for delivery prior to the new hires first day.
- A New Starter Induction Plan, a Github issue and a Humaans Profile will be created for the new hire.
- They will be added to the Onboarding List for New Hires and the people buddy will work their way through the checklist through the next 3 months as appropriate
- A ‘Welcome Email’ will be sent to the new hire 2-4 days ahead of their start date with a copy of their Induction Plan and a brief outline of the induction schedule for their first day.
- The people team will check in with the new hire’s Line Manager at the 30 and 90 day mark. This is to discuss the new hire’s progress, see if any additional support is needed and/or review onboarding survey feedback.More detailed information about the onboarding process can be found in the Operations Handbook.